ALTERYX DESIGNER – 2 DAY EDUCATION
This course covers Alteryx Designer for new and intermediate Alteryx users. It introduces the User Interface and works through core Alteryx capability, introducing many tools with which you use to fix and analyse your data and prepare it for visualisation. It uses both Follow Me and Tutorials to give the student as much experience as possible.
This course is great preparation for the Alteryx Core Certification.
The student is provided with data sources and hands-on exercises to cover the course content. The material provides tips throughout as well as challenges to allow the students to put into practice the concepts taught in each module.
- Data Analysts who wish to explore their data and answer their business questions.
- IT staff who want to validate data quickly and collaboratively with business.
- Participants may have experience with Excel or a traditional BI tool but little experience in connecting to data stored in different ways or in Data Discovery tools.
Tell Me, I’ll Forget; Show Me, I’ll Remember; Let Me Do It, I’ll Understand
- Do you need to join data from different sources?
- Do you need to clean and restructure data to get it into the right format?
- Do you want to use the Interactive Chart and Insight tools to show your data?
- Do you want to perform spatial analysis and see your metrics of interest on a map?
- Do you need to use Regular Expressions to parse data?
- Do all of your users have Alteryx Designer? If not you can create and publish Analytic Applications which your licensed users can run in a web browser.
Alteryx Designer UI
- User Settings
- Tool Palettes
- Configuration Window
- Workflow Canvas
- Follow Me
Use and understand the tools in Favorites palette:
- Input Data
- Output Data
- Text Input
- Data Cleansing
- Text to Columns
Follow Me using the Favorites palette
Blend and Join data
We use different tools and techniques to:
- Blend different file types
- Wildcard Blend
- Dynamic Wildcard Blend
- Joining database and file data
- Cache and run workflow
Blend and Join Data Challenges
We find different ways of parsing:
- Typical Report Data Parsing
- Dynamic Data Parsing
- Parsing data in a single field
- More Dynamic Parsing
Data Parsing Challenges
Create reports using:
- Interactive Chart
Perform spatial analysis
Specify a trade area, match customers within the trade area to the nearest store and draw a map showing the store trade area and the customers using:
- Create Points
- Trade Area
- Spatial Match
- Find Nearest
- Spatial Info
Create and combine spatial data from SEIFA, GNAF and shape files to find the suburb with the lowest socio-economic Disadvantage within the Great Lakes SA3 region:
- Create Points
- Spatial Match
Spatial Analysis Challenges
Parsing data with regular expressions
Use REGEX_Match embedded into the Filter tool to find matching patterns, use REGEX_Replace embedded into the Formula tool to create a new field, use the Multi-Row Formula tool to replicate data and use the Parse method of the RegEx tool to parse your data into a usable format.
Share workflows with Analytic Apps
Create an Alteryx analytic application so that end-users without Alteryx Designer can run a workflow published to the Alteryx Public Gallery. When running the app users will be able to supply input values at run time to modify the result using:
- List Box
- Drop Down
Analytic Application Challenges